Where is my Iowa tax refund?
When will the Iowa tax refund be? It is a quite a puzzling question many tax fillers now asks. However, according to the announcement by the Iowa Department of Revenue on 04/28/2020, Iowa state tax refund, 2019 would extend. These changes are due to the 2020 global pandemic, Covid-19 which has perplexed many social and economic operations. Therefore to all those expecting a refund, you must exercise patience even as you keep checking your Iowa income tax refund status.
Essential aspects this announcement hols is that not all tax types had their dates forwarded. Ignoring these days, therefore, still will attract the penalties put in place by the tax department.
Taxes With No Extension Dates
- Estimated Income Tax Payments
- Solar Energy System Tax Credit and Geothermal Heat Pump Tax Credit Applications
- Sales Tax Returns and Payments
- Income Withholding Returns and Payments
Among these 4, it only the Solar Energy System Tax Credit and Geothermal Heat Pump Tax Credit Applications with a deadline on 1st May 2020 – the rest have theirs on April 30, 2020. See the full details on this and Iowa tax refund here.
Taxes With Extension Dates
- Property Tax: Board of Review Protest Period Extended – the Order 2020-02 given by the tax director allows filling extensions from May 25, 2020, to June 5, 2020. Also, reviews on this may continue to June 15, 2020.
- Income/Franchise/Money & Credits Tax Returns and Payments – due date, July 31, 2020.
- Iowa Educational Savings (529) Plan Contributions – extends up to July 31, 2020.
- First-Time Homebuyer Savings Accounts – up to July 31, 2020.
Due to these extensions, the refunding process will likely also delay.
How Do I Check My Iowa State Tax Refund Status?
Iowa offers an elaborate quick to use methods through which you can know the status of your re-funding. Usually, it takes between 30 to 45days after refund processing to receive your money however, delays may occur.
Still in this situation, the Iowa tax department through their website is easy, you can check the progress via, Where’s My Refund link. An alternative yet reliable method you can also use is making a call to the tax department. The numbers to call are 800-367-3388 or 515-281-3114. Like on the website, the customer support will always have timely information on every detail surrounding your Iowa tax refund status.
All these two methods will require you to have the following details for verification.
- Social Security Number
- Tax Year
- Exact Refund Amount
For the past, so many years of operation, the Iowa income tax refund department has been spending over $825 million each year for reimbursement purposes. The majority of beneficiaries get their refunds before May 31st. So far before the coronavirus, major details have been caused by the following.
- Mailed paper returns
- Indirect check deposits
- Errors in filing returns
- Missing documentation
- Request for additional review on returns
The Iowa tax refund schedule 2019 has been quite affected by the coronavirus pandemic. However, you should not give you a reason to worry. The tax department has all its systems working ensuring you receive your refund as before.